Hopefully I am on the road to recovery. I was still hacking up a lung on Saturday, and I literally spent most of the day on my couch, no matter how many things I put into my journal that I want to get accomplished this weekend. Oh, like my holiday gift boxes I still haven’t sent – promise family you’ll get them before Valentine’s Day!
I did manage to complete one of my meal plan items for the week – breakfast biscuits. It’s really so easy and took little effort on my part. The best thing is that these came in at only 2 smart points each!
- 10 refrigerator biscuits (not flakey Grands)
- 1 cup mixed chopped veggies – (I used red pepper and zucchini)
- 1 cup liquid egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- salt and pepper
- teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- pinch of crushed red pepper
- dash of hot sauce
- 1/4 cup finely shredded cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Heat oven to 375. Spray muffin tin with Pam. Place the biscuits into the bottom of the the muffin tin, pressing down and brining the dough a bit up the sides of the muffin tin. Divide your veggie mix among the 10 biscuits. Mix the egg whites, almond milk, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper and a dash of hot sauce. Pour that mixture evenly between the muffin tins. Divide the cheese on top and bake for 30 minutes. Let cook five minutes before removing from the pan and store in a ziploc bag to grab and go later in the week.
The possibilities are endless with these muffins – sautéed mushrooms and spinach, add in some chopped ham for protein (I hadn’t gone to the store yet so it was slim pickings for me!) but bake once and you have breakfast for a few days – I had mine with a giant orange for breakfast on Saturday and this kept me full for hours.
When I woke up on Sunday, I still had this nagging cough and finally decided to go to the doctor. After waiting nearly 90 minutes at the Minute Clinic – I got the diagnosis that I have a COLD. Yep, that’s all it is. I had chills and a fever the first night, my nose runs clear, my lungs didn’t sound like I had bronchitis, and I’ve already had the vaccine for the flu and pneumonia. She did prescribe me an inhaler and some heavy duty pills to help with the cough, but was told to just rest and drink lots of fluids. The hard part is that I “feel” fine except for the damn cough and funny nose. So if after another week, I am not better, I am to hit up my primary care physician.
I still kept my plan with my Mom yesterday. She was coming over for dinner and made it to my house after church around 1:00 p.m. I still had to go grocery shopping, so she came with me. Since the kadults and I are each doing our own meal plans, I thought I’d give you a run down of my tentative meal plan for the week.
I spent $52.87 for my groceries this week. This included the green beans and polenta I made for dinner last night with my Mom (I already had the pork chops in the fridge), and you’ll notice that the most expensive item on my list is Jennie-O ground turkey breast at $7.45. I am using it in three recipes this week – another turkey burger, taco wonton bites and using it in a Cincinnati chili. That turkey burger I had last week was so good, it was worth the price to buy it to me.
- the breakfast biscuits above with fresh fruit x 2 days
- Chobani breakfast parfait with my homemade granola
- egg white and zucchini omelette with an apple and PB2
- breakfast wonton cups with fresh fruit
- How Sweet Eats Chicken Tortilla Soup x 2
- zucchini pasta boats
- leftover Cincinnati chili mac with spaghetti squash
- turkey wrap with veggie straws and fruit
- pork fried rice (using leftover pork chops)
- Jennie-O turkey burger with Swiss Lorraine, sautéed mushroom and zucchini
- Jennio-O turkey taco wonton bites, refried beans and cilantro lime rice
- pork egg roll bowl (made with leftover pork chops from last night)
- shrimp cocktail picky plate
- Cincinnati Chili Mac
Sounds like a pretty delicious meal plan, and not too complicated.
Since I can’t exercise because of my cold, I really have to be spot on with my food in order to have another loss this week. I was so proud of myself because I drank tea with dinner last night even though I had wine in the house, and my Mom enjoyed a glass of wine. It was nice hanging out with her, and I went to bed at 10:15 last night to give my body a lot of rest. Here’s hoping the medicine kicks in soon!
Had to share this photo of my Mom – the dogs love hanging around her at dinner just hoping she’ll share some of her dinner! I made pork chops with polenta with a lemon pepper sauce with garlic green beans.
I’ve been using a salad plate lately because it’s the only plate that fits on the shelf below my dining room lamp where I take pictures, but I love how it makes it seem like so much food – this plate came in at 9 smart points.
For the record, my Momma did share some of her polenta, but saved the pork for herself – I don’t blame her because it was really good!
I was super busy all the way up until 5 p.m. on Friday night at work, so I have a feeling today is going to be a busy day. Oh well, at least the day will go by fast!
Make it a great day! Here’s some Monday Motivation: